History & Heritage2Notre Dame was founded in February 1869

The Notre Dame Catholic College was originally the residence of the Sisters of Notre Dame in Liverpool, and began as a
pupil-teacher centre with links to local primary schools. The collegiate school did not actually come into existence until 1902,
with this merging with the pupil teacher centre in 1908. It was known as Notre Dame Collegiate School and became a direct grant grammar school in 1946 as a result of the Education Act 1944.

sondThe sisters did not move out of the building until 1978 due to the expansion and the intake of the school building, and the school building also followed this expansion to pave the way for the institution to become an all-girls comprehensive school in 1983, which also tallied with the amalgamation of both St John’s Secondary Modern School and St Catherine’s Secondary Modern School to form Notre Dame High School in the same year.

In 2001, the school inserted the word ‘Catholic’ into its title to become Notre Dame Catholic High School, but 2002 saw the school become a specialist ‘Performing Arts College’ – returning the institution to a College as it once originally was.

The former all girls College began accepting boys into Year 7 in September 2012. Boys were already enrolled into Sixth Form. In September 2013, the College moved to a new, state-of-the-art building next to Everton Park sports centre on Great Homer Street as part of the wider Project Jennifer scheme.

Following the tradition the form classes in each year group are named after Sisters of Notre Dame.

Julie Billiart

juliabMarie Rose Julie Billiart was born in 1751 in Cuvilly, a small village in France. She attended the village school. When she was older, Julie helped in the fields with the hay making and loved to speak to the other villagers of the goodness of God. Her father owned a smallholding and a draper’s store. One night his shop was broken into and the merchandise was stolen and ruined. Not long after this when Julie was with her father, an attempt was made on his life. As a result of this shock she became paralysed for 23 years, unable to walk and at times unable to speak.   Julie lived during the horrors of the French Revolution and many of her friends, including the Carmelites of Compiègne, died at the hands of the revolutionaries.

Her great friend, Madame Pont l’Abbé, persuaded Julie that she must leave Cuvilly and she brought her and her devoted niece, Felicité, to her chateau at Gournay-sur-Aronde. However, very soon the revolutionaries were hunting for Julie and she and Felicité fled to Compiègne, hidden in a hay cart. Again Julie had to flee and her friend, Madame Baudoin, brought Julie and her niece, Felicité, to Amiens.

It was there that Madam Baudoin introduced Julie to Françoise Blin de Bourdon, who was to became a close friend of Julie and the co-foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur.   St Julie’s Feast Day is 13 May.

Francoise Blin De Bourdon

binFrançoise was born in 1756 into one of the oldest families in Picardy, France. She was the daughter of Viscount Blin de Bourdon who had married Marie-Louise-Claudine de Fouquesolles, daughter of the Baron of Fouquesolles, Viscount of Doullens. Unlike Jule, Françoise was educated firstly by governesses and later at the Benedictine and Ursuline schools.

Prior to the Revolution, as Vicomtesse Blin de Bourdon, Françoise had devoted her life to the good management of her estates and to caring for the poor and sick. She hoped one day to become a Carmelite.

Following the death of Robespierre, Françoise was freed from imprisonment and her friend, Madame Baudoin, brought Julie Billiart and her niece, Felitité, to Amiens. They acquired a small apartment in the town home of Françoise Blin’s brother on the rue des Augustins in Amiens. Madam Baudoin invited Françoise to meet Julie. Françoise responded to the invitation but in the beginning she found she could not understand the invalid’s laboured speech. However as the days passed, Françoise would read to Julie and help feed her. Gradually, Julie’s winning personality triumphed over her physical limitations, and what began as a work of mercy was transformed into one of the most beautiful examples of a spiritual friendship between two women in the recorded history of religious life.

Dorothy Stang

doroyhysSister Dorothy Stang, a Sister of Notre Dame de Namur was born 7th June 1931 in Dayton , Ohio, USA . The 12th February 2005 is in the annals of Notre Dame as a day never to be forgotten. On that day Sister Dorothy Stang SND, known as Dot, was shot dead in the Amazon Rain Forest, Brazil.

Dot, known to some as the Angel of the Amazon, was a courageous woman, full of energy and vigour and apostolic zeal. She and four other Sisters had gone from North America to Brazil forty years before as Missionaries. She embraced the cause of whole villages, helpless before the treachery, violence and greed of the ranchers and multi – national logging companies as they destroyed homes, despoiled the land and laid waste the Brazilian rainforest .    Dot loved the indigenous people, even at the cost of her own life.

She became the voice for the poor and fought valiantly for the people to ensure their land rights. It was her passion for justice, her outspoken voice for the poor, her fearlessness in “naming and shaming” that put her on a death list.   Dot lived her life for God. Her good God. When she faced her assassins, who were armed with guns, her only weapon was her bible. Her bible was opened at the beatitudes.

Sister Mary Ann Duhan

Sr Mary Ann SNDSister Mary Ann was Chair of Governors at the time of Catholic Re-organisation in Liverpool [1982-1983] and worked along with Sister Eileen Kelleher to ensure that the change in the composition and status of the school happened in the smoothest way possible. This was a difficult time as it involved several schools merging to form a new High School. Sister Mary Ann was Chaplain at Notre Dame from 1983 until she retired a second time after a distinguished career as a headteacher at St Hilda’s (before its amalgamation with St Augustine’s) and later Tutor of Divinity at Notre Dame College (Mount Pleasant). She took a personal interest in the college maintaining strong links with staff and students here until her death at the age of 92 in 2011.

 

 

 

 

 Sister Doctor Eileen Kelleher OBE

Sister Eileen2Sister Eileen was Headteacher at Notre Dame Everton Valley from 1978 until 1993. She dedicated her life to the education of young people.

In 1953 she joined the Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame and taught in schools in London and Leeds before returning to Liverpool where she was Headteacher of three schools over a period of twenty five years.

Sister Eileen was awarded an honorary doctorate for her outstanding work as Pro-Chancellor and Chairperson of Liverpool Hope Governing Council.

In June 2009, Sister Eileen received an OBE for her voluntary services to Education in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

 

 

Sister Patricia O’Brien

Sr Patricia O'Brien

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Father Thomas